October happens to be ADHD awareness month, so good timing on my part. Anyway, it was hard finding good videos on adult ADHD. These are the ones that describe MY experience:
I didn’t show many signs of ADHD as a kid, but the video above reminded me of a few of my signs:
- I made good grades in math, but I would also get told I could have had a higher grade if I didn’t make careless mistakes.
- I had a hard time writing long papers.
- I was obsessed with planners from the age of 8. I have had a planner every year since then.
- I was messy and a little disorganized. I still am very messy. I have learned how to organize things.
- I was hypersensitive to touch. Now, I can’t tolerate touch, noise or smells.
- I would become addicted to every hobby. I still do now, but I don’t have as much time for hobbies now.
- How could I forget the main thing??? I talk extremely fast. Always have. That’s the hyperactivity part of me.
I’m sure there are other things like low self-esteem, but I may have had that without ADD.
Links to articles on adult ADHD:
- 10 Things I Wish the World Knew About ADHD
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Inattentive Type in Adults
- What Adult ADHD Looks Like
- ADHD Is Real — and We’re Not Stupid or Lazy
My favorite/most helpful books on ADHD
- Women With ADHD: A Life-Changing Guide to Overcome the Hidden Struggles of Living with ADHD – Includes Debunked Myths and 15 Effective Tips to Positively Transform Your Life by Roberta Sanders.
I will update this list of articles and books if I find a great read…if I remember!
I was just diagnosed with ADHD in August of 2021. I have read a few books on it. But I don’t really feel knowledgable about ADHD. I know more about social anxiety, and gastroparesis. I’m an expert on those.
I did try a non-medication for ADD. I only tried Adrenal and Focus from Mary Ruth Organics* (link). I think my ADD is too severe for this. It kind of helps, but a bottle would only last a week! It made me a little sleepy, so I think Adrenal and Focus is probably best for people with hyperactivity. If I had a kid with mild ADHD, I would probably try this first before meds. If it didn’t work, I would have no problems with medicine.
*Affl. link You get $10 off your first order if you use my link. I have stopped using Adrenal and Focus since I’m on Adderall. I do recommend their liquid vitamin multi-vitamin. I’ve taken it every day for the past 4 months and my lab results came back looking decent for someone with gastroparesis. I get most of my nutrients from their morning vitamin – NOT FOOD. I highly recommend any Mary Ruth products. All organic. No alcohol. Etc.
I have an ADHD coach. She’s still in school for her certification, so she’s affordable and we only meet twice a month. I recommend getting a coach if you can spare the money. There are also group programs which are definitely cheaper. I know I don’t do well in groups because I don’t talk! So I didn’t even seriously consider that. If you want a certified ADHD coach or group coaching, look here to get started. (link) I like that list because it can be filtered easily. I think I found my coach through just searching ‘ADHD membership’. She has a big monthly membership group that I am not a part of yet. She’s not currently taking anymore clients because she has 3 (including me) and with all that she has going on, she can’t take on more.
Therapy also helps and is probably much cheaper than coaching for most people. Please be sure the therapist is familiar with adult ADHD or you will get frustrated.
As far as organization goes, I use ClickUp* for all my business stuff and a few major personal things. I just bought a Planner Pad because so many people with ADHD rave about it. I just got it today. I will add a review here once I use it for a couple of months. ClickUp is the only thing that works for me as a business owner. I like that I can set recurring tasks since I do some things every month. I’ve also tried Trello, Notion and Asana. ClickUp is a little slow on my computer, but it works best for me.
*supposedly an aff. link, but I don’t know anyone who has gotten money from them – lol.
That’s all for now. I will try to update this post with articles, podcasts and videos as time goes on.
Have a good day. Thanks for stopping by. Don’t be a stranger. 🙂